Thursday, March 27, 2008

Henry David Thoreau is My Inspiration







The person that inspired me the most to take my journey into the wild was Henry David Thoreau. His quote, “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived” has stimulated me to live my life the way I wanted to live and not live it to meet the expectations of society or anyone else. I wanted to live without all the outside influences and I felt well prepared to take a risk and meet the challenge of starting life all over with only the clothes on my back and a few other things. Thoreau and I were similar in many ways, specifically, we detested the material things in life and we both have a deep appreciation for the relationship we have between man and the serenity of nature.
As I journey down the snow-covered trail in Alaska with my rifle, a camera, a few books, some rice, and my journal, I can only think of Thoreau. One of his many quotes comes to mind and I clearly know why I’m on this venture. I’ve got the opportunity to make the most of my life and figure out what is really important to me. I definitely knew that I did not want to live the rest of my life in Virginia, living a basic life like everybody else; I wanted more out of life. Until now, I followed the plan my life had for me and currently, I want to live life deliberately the way I want to live.
I will live with a purpose and no longer live to jump every time I’m told to do something and I’m not going to live just to survive. Most people work all their life with the hope of earning enough money to someday retire and enjoy their life. I was “born with a silver spoon in my mouth” and I could have the best things in life, but as Robert Frost put it, “Two roads diverged and I chose the one less traveled.” I want to live my life now and enjoy the essential facts of life.
Why would I want to fit into my life living like a robot and become lost in my own life? Getting an education only meant that I’d be skilled and that skill would become my pay. It’s such a vicious and mundane circle of work, get paid, and spend with pressure and stressors galore. So, you see, living my life in the wild won’t make me rich in money, but it’ll reward me with more importance in my life. Now I know that I want to live my life and that’s why I took the road less traveled by and when I die, at least I’ll know that I have lived my life.

No comments: